Thursday, August 31, 2017

Not Always Perfect Peach Pie

Happy Thursday! So last weekend I bought some beautiful peaches from a local stand. Looking at them I thought, wouldn't peach pie be wonderful in the Fall or for a dreary Winter day? I found this great recipe for peach pie filling and started peeling and peeling and peeling 15 lbs of peaches. Since recipes are merely a suggestion to me, I also added cinnamon, the almond extract and some nutmeg. And then it called for something called Clearjel. After stopping at two stores, I found no such thing. Well apparently, it is important. Beings I couldn't find anything that sounded comparable, I decided to use cornstarch and water to substitute this item. It did not work.  I had the right idea. Just the wrong product. In cooking it, I could see it getting  thicker but not enough to hold form in a pie or cobbler. So I either need to use more corn starch to water ratio or add this Clearjel item. But in reading all about it, it appears this product is like a mega corn starch or something like cornstarch on steroids. Don't get me wrong, its still delicious because I had to cook one up to see, of course. It just didn't get very thick. So I am using a lifeline and asking the audience. Do you use Clearjel, other than for acne (which was my original thought)? Or do you have a great substitute that you would like to share.  I'm all ears! Especially since apple fie filling sounds pretty tempting, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment