Tuesday, October 31, 2017

It's Halloween! Time to Make the Donuts!

As dawn breaks on this beautiful Halloween morning, I am up making the traditional Halloween donuts. What started as an envy my high school friend growing up as her mom always had cider and donut holes for Halloween, I decided to try my own hand at it my later years. I bought a can of refrigerator biscuits.
The cheap kind. The fancy big biscuits just don't work as well. I started out by quartering each biscuit and rolling it into balls. Then I'd drop them in a big pot of hot oil (not boiling). Once they were a golden brown, I'd roll them in cinnamon and sugar. Ta da!!! Now I have progress into full blown donuts. I take the whole biscuit, put my clean finger through the middle and shape it into a donut. A do as many as I'd like to make for the day and while my oil heats up. There is always that "tester donut" that has to go in first to no doubt tell you your oil isn't hot enough. But it will be. I keep it on med to med hi heat. Once its ready I drop them in one by one.
Let them cook on one side them flip them over until they are golden brown. Using a slotted spoon I carefully remove each one. Once they are cool, I roll them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture. In years past, I have also iced them with chocolate frosting and festive sprinkles. When I lived on a more populated area, my home was known for the donuts that I passed out on Halloween night. Now I share with family and close friends. Tradition in my home is a big pot of homemade spaghetti sauce and of course the donuts. Top that off with a simmering pot of cider complete with cinnamon sticks, a sliced orange and whole cloves and your home will also smell like Fall, tradition,  ghosts and goblins. Trick or Treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment