Friday, October 20, 2017

It's Great Intentions, Charlie Brown!

You know what they say the road to hell is paved with? Well it's not quite that bad. But in my grandiose dreams, I had had the vision of making my fresh pumpkin pie filling and canning it. Giving it as Christmas presents with the recipe to just add eggs and evaporated milk. I bought 6 of the prettiest little pie pumpkins. I cleaned them and halved them and put them in the boiling pot. While they are cooking, I reference a favorite site to see how long I should water bath or pressure can my magical mixture. And according to Living Home Grown, don't do it. Ever. For any reason. Something to do with PH but that was enough for me to abort my mission. Apparently canning pumpkin chunks is fine put puree' is a definite no no. So what do you do? You go to town and get pint sized freezer containers. Yep! Freezing is a go and I have done that before but not in bulk. So now I have 7 pretty little pint containers of mashed pumpkin just waiting to be pie, or cheesecake or muffins. My lesson that I am passing on to you today, my fellow canners is to research your project. Even if you are seasoned at preserving, check with a reputable site just as I did to know the right and safe way to process your food. I am disappointed that another Christmas gift is foiled. But I am very excited that I have this ready at my disposal anytime I want to bake a yummy pumpkin treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment